Definition from buildingSMART: Generalization of all elements that
participate in a distribution system. It is further specialized in the IFC
HISTORY New entity in IFC
Geometry Use Definitions:
The geometric representation of IfcDistributionElement is given
by the IfcProductDefinitionShape, allowing multiple geometric
The local placement for IfcDistributionElement is defined in its
supertype IfcProduct. It is defined by the IfcLocalPlacement,
which defines the local coordinate system that is referenced by all geometric
- The PlacementRelTo relationship of IfcLocalPlacement
shall point (if given) to the local placement of the same
IfcSpatialStructureElement , which is used in the
ContainedInStructure inverse attribute, or to a spatial structure
element at a higher level, referenced by that.
- If the relative placement is not used, the absolute placement is
defined within the world coordinate system.
The geometric representation of IfcDistributionElement is defined
using different geometric representation types for the various subtypes. In
general, the following guidelines should be used:
- all fixtures (all non distribution flow elements, i.e. everything
which is not a duct, pipe or later cable) should be defined by an b-rep - the
new mapped item should be used if appropriate as it allows for reusing the
geometry definition of the element type at element instances. In this case
the IfcShapeRepresentation.RepresentationType =
- all "simple" distribution flow elements (general ducts and pipes) are
defined by sweep geometry . In this case the
IfcShapeRepresentation.RepresentationType = SweptSolid.
- an additional representation type for all "simple" distribution flow
elements (general ducts and pipes) is the ability to have a simple line based
representation. In this case the
IfcShapeRepresentation.RepresentationType = GeometricSet.
- distribution flow elements with size changes (e.g. reducer) are
defined by sectioned spine representations. In this case the
IfcShapeRepresentation.RepresentationType = SectionedSpine.
- all complex distribution elements (e.g. Y branch or T branch) are
defined using b-rep geometry. In this case the
IfcShapeRepresentation.RepresentationType = Brep.